Your online activity is possibly being watched, and by who is the question. Your online interactions have created many opportunities for criminals. These criminals take advantage of these opportunities, and they are on the rise. Anyone can be open to an attack. It doesn’t matter if you’re an individual, corporation, or small business, you can become a victim. In most cases, these perpetrators conceal their identities and attack you from areas you’d least expect them to.
Nathans Investigations private investigators can help expose these people. A private investigator has the proper system and computer forensics training to follow these digital footprints criminals use to track down cell phone numbers, IP addresses, social media accounts, email addresses, and even specific devices to perpetrate these crimes.
Types of Cyber Harassment
- Cyberstalking – Using the internet to harass, intimidate or threaten someone repeatedly
- Online Impersonation – Using the name or persona of an individual without consent
- Catfishing – Someone will create a fictitious identity to start a relationship
- Doxxing – Publishing someone’s personal information online so they’ll be harassed
- Swatting – Making a call to law enforcement to fake a dangerous scenario at the target’s location
- Trolling – Making unsolicited comments in an online community to provoke an emotion
- Revenge Porn – Distributing private and sexually explicit images or videos without consent
Cyber Harassment and Extortion
Harassment and blackmail happen regularly, and many people find themselves open to these online attacks. Criminals will set up fake email and social media accounts, pretend to be you, spread lies, or altered images and videos to hurt your business or damage your reputation. Some will often pretend to be a friend and prompt you to share your personal information, and private photos then threaten to share them if you don’t pay the sum they demand.
How Can a Private Investigator Identify a Perpetrator?
Attackers come from a position of secrecy. They will harass, blackmail, or even bully you and operate from the internet’s shadows to conceal their identities. Fortunately for you and the private investigator, they always leave a digital footprint. A private investigator is a forensic expert in knowing how to find them. We will work with you to track down IP addresses and domains that were used to commit harassment or extortion. They will also be able to determine the crime’s source.
Dealing with harassment or even extortion strains your mental health and is challenging at best to deal with. A private investigator can cross-reference IP addresses to find out. All evidence they find will be documented for use in an investigation with law enforcement or a court case.
Harassment is a serious issue. While not all cases require an investigation, it does help to keep track of as much information as possible in case it becomes an issue. Use a VPN to hide your IP address and don’t save or post any personal information online. Be careful who you accept as a “friend” on social media and do your best not to share certain types of images. The internet has a lot of great stuff to see, but underneath the surface are some dark elements waiting to pounce of an unsuspecting person.
In today’s digital world, criminals have evolved with new advances in technology and have become more than your standard thug mugging you on the street. Nowadays, criminals are more tech-savvy and have found new ways to steal your information. Because of this, private investigators and even some law enforcement departments have advanced their digital landscape skills.
When and How Computer Forensic Investigations are Used?
Nowadays, there are few areas or disputes where a private investigator can’t apply computer forensics. While law enforcement agencies have been using this for a while, there use limited department resources and time due to current caseloads. However, a private investigator has the skill, expertise, and resources many departments don’t have or are unable to use.
Computers are now considered to be the “scene of a crime.” These crimes scenes can involve hacking or denial of service attacks on your computer. Plus, a computer may hold valuable evidence in a criminal or civil case. This can range from emails, internet history, documents, and even files relevant to more significant crimes like murder, fraud, kidnapping, or even drug and human trafficking.
How Can a Private Investigator Help?
Nathans Investigations private investigators do more than just looking through the content of emails, documents, and other related files. They also look into the metadata that is associated with all of those files. Private investigators will also search log files as a user’s actions may be stored there. Also, applications like internet browsers and other programs contain valuable information a private investigator will look for.
A computer forensic investigation can reveal when a document first appears on a computer, when it was edited last, and also when it was printed or saved and who carried out these actions. A private investigator also has the knowledge and resources available to do this when law enforcement can’t.
Because of this, many organizations have used private investigators to help with many kinds of cases, including:
• Employment disputes
• Intellectual property theft
• Phishing emails that may be part of invoice fraud
• Improper use of email and internet use within an employer’s workplace
• Regulatory compliance
Issues a Private Investigator May Come Across
• Encryption – Encrypted data can be challenging to almost impossible to view without a password or proper key.
• Increased storage space – An investigator needs a lot of space to hold the ever-growing amount of data they will be investigating.
• New technologies – Computers are continually evolving. An investigator may come across new software hardware, or even a new operating system to analyze.
• Legislative domains – If data is stored on a remote computer or cloud, this can mean a different state or country, which means a different set of laws for an investigator to work with.
• Legal arguments – These can distract or confuse an investigator’s findings. This can be things like trojans, keylogging, along with a lawyer’s legal arguments.
• Accepted standards – These are standards and guidelines an investigator must work within.
• Fit to practice – Many jurisdictions don’t check the competency of many examiners. Fortunately, private investigators are evaluated as experts in this field by other organizations.
Private investigators find themselves at the forefront of computer forensics investigations due to their expertise and resources. Hiring a private investigator to help with an investigation will help you clear up your time for other parts of the investigations allow you to continue with business while the investigator does their work.
PRIVATE INVESTIGATION SERVICES
- Missing Person Investigations
- Skip Trace & Locate Reports
- National Background Reports
- COVID-19 Scams
- Infidelity Investigations
- Child Custody Investigations
- International Investigations
- Online Dating Investigations
- Surveillance Investigations
- Bank & Asset Investigations
- Fraud Investigations
- Stalking Investigations
- Bug Sweep Investigations
- Pandemic Investigations
- Adoption Investigations
- Drone Surveillance
- Litigation Investigations
- Student Internship Programs
- Premarital Investigations
- Female Private Investigators
- High Profile Clientele Division
- Asset Recovery Investigations
- Malware Analysis Investigations
- Elder Abuse Investigations
- Cold Case Investigations
- Identity Theft Investigations
- Social Media Investigations
- Catfish Investigations
- Process Serving
- Corporate Investigations
- Sexual Harassment Investigations
- Anti-Piracy Investigations
- Anti-Counterfeit Investigations
- Intellectual Property Investigations
- Cyber Investigations
- Due Diligence Investigations
- Contact Tracing Investigations
- Cohabitation Investigations
- Aerial Surveillance
- Animal Cruelty Investigations
- Become a Private Investigator
- Personal Investigations
- Competitive Intelligence Investigations
- Nursing Home Investigations
- Insider Threat Investigations
- Computer Forensic Investigations
- Internet Dating Investigations
- Insurance Fraud Investigations
- Background Checks
- Workmans Comp Investigations
- Criminal Investigations
- Civil Investigations
- Human Trafficking Investigations
- Runaway Investigations
- Teenager Investigations
- Risk Management Investigations
- Cell Phone Investigations
- What is a Private Investigator
- When to Hire a Private Investigator
- Nanny Investigations
- Alimony Investigations
- Unmanned Surveillance Investigations
- Breach of Contract Investigations
- COVID Custody
- History of Private Investigation
- Most Notable P.I’s in History
- Cleaning Company Investigations
- Digital Forensic Investigations
- Cyber Harassment Investigations
WHY HIRE US?
Our agency employs specialized units of military, law enforcement, and risk management veterans who are highly educated, trained, and experienced in private investigations. Our priority is to present our clients with the information they deserve & seek in an expedited fashion. We work alongside you to determine which of our services is most appropriate for your case & are equipped to offer various, unique & innovative solutions for our client’s most challenging circumstances.
WHAT IS THE COST?
Private Investigation rates generally reflect the cost and time required to work an individual case. We have built a unique system that provides our clients with a predetermined price for the entire investigation. With neither surprise fees, retainers, fuel costs, or tolls; nor any hidden costs, we aim to provide a cost-effective solution to our client’s most demanding investigations. We do not use any form of “rounding up” in our rates for unanticipated expenses, as the price for an inquiry will be determined based on your specific needs, not a set agency price.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
The initial step in scheduling an investigation would be either a phone call or an email conversation with one of our licensed private investigators & private detectives. We will ask you questions to determine what the best course of action is. From there, our team will custom build an investigative plan to your satisfaction and tailored to the specific requirements of your case. During the investigation, you may be updated on any changes. Upon completion of the investigation, clients receive a written, detailed report along with any photos or video documentation captured during the investigation.